HSMT’s objective is to provide training and practical experience so that aspirant hill-walking and climbing leaders may safely and enjoyably lead and supervise mountaineering activities for the benefit of young (and not so young!) people.
Our experience weekends are open to all members of the Scout Association aged 18 and above with no previous experience in mountaineering up to those wanting to start taking an active role as a mountain leader.
The programme for the weekend will be tailored to meet your needs and aspirations. The weekends will give you a general and practical introduction to the many aspects of mountain walking, providing you with the basic personal all round skills.
The weekends will also provide the training and guidance for those wishing to make a start on the Scout Adventurous Activity Permit and the opportunity for those with more experience to explore unfamiliar routes and gain log book experience.
The areas covered over the weekend will be:
- A general and practical introduction to the many aspects of mountain walking.
- Leader responsibilities, when taking young people into the hills.
- Awareness and understanding of group management. The additional technical skills leadership requires.
- Route planning and navigation, techniques required to navigate safely off main paths, and in wild country. Additional navigation skills under poor conditions.
- How to move safely with a group over steep or mixed ground.
- Group supervision and monitoring.
The cost of the weekend (£60.00 for Hampshire Scouts) includes indoor accommodation, catering, tuition and instruction, and use of group equipment. The experience weekends are two full days so this will require you to arrive at the training centre on the Friday Evening.
For more details of dates and costs of other courses go to the course dates page.
Please note that weekends in the mountains can be physically demanding, you should be fit enough to sustain and enjoy a full programme.
Download the 2017 experience weekend information .